A Brief History of our school
The first school was first opened in 1857 and was established at the home of the local Pastor (Heine), who later donated land near his home on which a school was built. The name Sarau, which originated in Germany, was used until 1917. The present school was built in 1929, and consisted of two classrooms. A new school house was built in 1939-40.
The original classroom of 1856 was towed by traction engine some time in 1940’s to its present site on the school grounds, and is thought to be the oldest classroom still in use in New Zealand.
In the early 60’s an additional classroom was built onto the end of the 1929 building. The staffroom and office had several developments over the next couple of decades.
In 1999 when Neudorf School was closed the two Neudorf School prefabs were moved on site making two additional classrooms and with the Administration space relocated to the end of this block where it remains today.
In 20o4 an a new classroom was built especially for the Year7/8 students and in 2005 the Multipurpose space (Hall) with an attached classroom was added.
In 2014 a major upgrade was undertaken to the original 1929 buildings and the Neudorf block ( see Our Learning Environment)